Add to that challenge being a family-owned printing company based at the bottom of the earth in South Australia and the ability of Openbook Howden to continually increased their market share and client base is downright impressive.
According to general manager Sarah Leo, the underlying element of their growth is quite simple in its approach.
“We don't look at ourselves as a printing company, we look at ourselves as a business,” she says. “We must apply successful business principles – not printing company principles.”
Sarah’s five of the key principles for success:
1. Help clients achieve their business goals as smoothly as possibleHowden
2. Cash is king and without a positive cash flow your company will not be around for longcashflowOpenbookHowden
3. Upgrade technology to meet new demands
Companies can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars – even millions – for the latest technology, only to find out they don't have a market or clients who need that output. It's critical to “move with the times'' and keep up with client’s demand but it has to be based on sound business principles. Don’t upgrade just for the sake of upgrading, says Sarah.
4. Staff engagement is all importantupskilling
5. Target markets that relate to the company and its expertiseJump to next article